Chris Kontos of Australian Fashion Labels appointed as Adelaide Fashion Festival creative director

Originally published by The Advertiser
Author: Anna Vlach

ADELAIDE Fashion Festival’s new creative director Chris Kontos would happily ride on a Kardashian’s coat-tails to guarantee the event international exposure.

The 34-year-old, who was born in Adelaide, has been appointed by the State Government for 12 months to work on this year’s festival, running October 19 to 23.

With a Kardashian family member Kendall Jenner having already worn a TY-LR coat he designed for local company Australian Fashion Labels, Mr Kontos is hoping to secure famous faces.

“A Kardashian is always great to get over if we could … someone who could take the (SA) brands to an international audience would be amazing to get them the exposure they deserve,” Mr Kontos said.

He will be the first creative director to work on the event started by Norwood, Payneham & St Peters Council in 2008, since the government took it over last year and invested $2 million.

Announcing the appointment exclusively to The Advertiser yesterday Premier Jay Weatherill said Mr Kontos was a “fantastic fit”.

“To have someone of his calibre who has covered all facets of fashion including retail, design, marketing and manufacturing in this role is a great asset to the event,” he said.

Mr Kontos wants to increase exposure for the “bespoke” event and its “unique” local designers, such as Acler’s Kathryn Forth. He would also like to secure transgender supermodel Andreja Pejic and Adelaide-born global catwalk stars Megan Irwin, Madison Stubbington and Lily Nova.

Pejic would be “unbelievable” for both the fashion festival and Feast running October 21 to November 6.

“It’s all happening in October … it’s like the new March,” Mr Kontos said.